Elder Teagan J. Pitcher ... Serving in the Copenhagen Denmark Mission
Elder Pitcher
"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." (Phillipians 4:13)

Monday, February 24, 2014

February 24, 2014

This has been a pretty awesome week from what it sounds like back home. I love hearing about how well everyone is getting along, even when it isn't going along as well as we would hope.

I'm very interested in the travel trailor, and it sounds like I left the country just in time for all of the exciting hockey in Utah to start taking place! But at least it is getting better, and that is wonderful to hear.

On Monday we stopped by the queen’s palace just because I had never been there before, and there were some elders with us that wanted to see it who were staying the night. Then we talked for a really long time with an Islamic man on the street, and realized after some time that I was doing a good portion of the talking, and felt very secure in my Danish. It is exciting to see the improvement, and what a blessing it has been.

Tuesday we started off the day with some language study at an investigator who has been investigating for a long time named ‘C’. She is a very energetic lady, and is really good friends with all of the missionaries... even if she has never met them before. She also gave me a compliment on my pronunciation, and told me not to get cocky. I felt really good after our little appointment. She is on hold for missionary lessons right now, but the assistants are working their way back in to teaching her.

I took a nap that day because I was absolutely exhausted from being sick (at the office nurses request, I'm not just lazy), and then we went to a members home who is one of the best cooks in the ward who has all of the missionaries, and temple presidents, and their wives over. Way good time, way good food. Elder Redd can really pound the food too, so that was fun.

Skipping to Friday (sorry not very exciting there in between), we got a ticket from the public transportation here. Helped a family in our ward move, and had a really fun meeting in the evening with a man named ‘M’ from Africa that always has hot chocolate, and these little cakes for us when he lets us in. This time he was a little tipsy, and had us end with a standing prayer as we all clasped hands in the middle high in the air, and he praised Jesus. It was awesome. I love that guy.

Saturday, we did the whole Fastilavn holiday that they do here, you'll have to look it up, it's pretty dark. Kind of like a Danish Halloween, except they beat a barrel with a cat in it (now it's just candy ;) Crazy Danes haha. I did the limbo, had some fun with the little kids in the ward, and then we went to an eating appointment with one of the members who is just the sweetest old women. Her brown sauce and potatoes that she makes are just to die for. NOTE: Fastelavn evolved from the Roman Catholic tradition of celebrating in the days before Lent - similar to Carival, but after Denmark became a Protestant nation, the holiday became less specifically religious. This holiday occurs seven weeks before Easter Sunday and is sometimes described as a Nordic Halloween, with children dressing up in costumes and gathering treats for the Fastelavn feast. The holiday is generally considered to be a time for children's fun and family games.

Sunday we had the lesson in Elders quorum, and we actually did way good! There was a Swedish guy visiting and he said that he could understand me better than most other Danes, and I was like dang, I missed the wrong Scandinavian country by just a couple of miles hahaha! Just kiddin'.

The work is working. 'T'is our only investigator right now, is still progressing, slowly but surely, she just needs to gain a greater desire, which is hard to teach, but we know she is going to get there.

Love y'all!
Elder Pitcher